Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Scar Tissue

Finished the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis on the train today. I actually bought the book at Rockhampton Airport because I had to wait around a bit there and I found it in a newsagent and thought "hey, I've always wanted to read that!"

Well, it was an interesting read. Most of it, at least. Quite disturbing and sad like all those junkie diary type books are (I much preferred "Basketball Diaries" and William S. Burroughs "Junkie", I have to say) but I could not help to feel this weird vibe through it all; almost like he was bragging about it. Ugly.

He really hung his ex-girlfriends out as well, brutally so, and seemed to feel he had himself walked away from most of those relationships in a much better shape than any of the girls. And did I really want to hear about all those stupid groupies? No. Did nothing for the story, at all. Just kind of gross.

My biggest surprise was to read that he kept doing drugs years and years after "Under The Bridge", even up until the "Californication" album. For some reason I always thought that song was his farewell to that part of his life, well I was wrong. Also, I think he wrote the book too early in his life. It was written in 2003, and four years later he became a dad. Now, that I think would have been a better note to finish on than just staying off the drugs because of the dog. Yes, that's how it ends. He doesn't want the dog to see it. Ha ha.

Well, read it. Done that. It was okay; decent enough read for plane rides and train rides and yadda yadda. Now I got nothing to read again. Started on the Soldier Son trilogy by Robin Hobb, but unfortunately can't finish it. Got about 100 pages into the 2nd book and I still hate it. Sorry, Robin Hobb; you are one of my favourite writers of all time but I just do not want to read about stupid Nevare Burvelle.

Might just hold my breath for a week until Book 5 of ASOIAF comes out; Dance With Dragons...

No comments:

Post a Comment