Thursday, August 19, 2010

Jack Kerouac

My favourite writer of all times is Jack Kerouac. Of course because he was an amazing story teller, but I think also because of where I was in my life when I read his books. I was 20 and living in Madrid. Reading Kerouac almost turned into an obsession.
There were only like two book shops in the whole city that sold books in English (I'm sure that has changed now though) so I would venture out to them and purchase these precious books and plant myself at different cafes and read for hours. The only one I had read before then was On The Road, but during this time I read practically everything I could get my hands on. Absolute favourite was Dharma Bums, but I must admit I was never very passionate for The Town and The City. It was only a couple of years ago I read a great biography about Kerouac (treasure found at the Lifeline Bookfest) which made me realise why that was so. Anyways... Apart from WOT of course and perhaps Arthur C Clarke, I have never read that many books by the same writer. And even though my fav book of all times is A Clockwork Orange, it is Kerouac who is and will always be the greatest in my eyes.
At the end of my stay in Madrid I wrote a poem called Mad Ride. It was my farewell to that period of my life, and obviously very influenced by Kerouac. It's a bit lame, and my English wasn't the best at the time (my Spanish was far better then) but sometimes I still look at it and it quite accurately portrays my 6 months there.
Nowadays I have very little need to read Kerouac, just like I have very little need to listen to Pearl Jam and Kent (because it doesn't fit with how I feel and who I am now) but I still love. Love lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment